Did you know that eating dates is beneficial for labor preparation?
Consuming 6 dates daily beginning the 36th week of pregnancy can lead to a shorter, easier birth. One study found that mothers who eat dates have:
- a higher incidence of labor beginning on its own
- a lower incidence of premature rupture of membranes
- greater cervical dilation upon hospital admission
- less need for Pitocin
- shorter overall labor
- lower rates of cesarean birth
Pretty good when all you have to do is eat some tasty fruit on the regular!
Eating dates plain is a great option, but if you want to switch things up here are some ideas for how to enjoy your dates:
2. Blue Cheese-Stuffed Bacon-Wrapped Dates - Sweet and savory - YUM! Use nitrate-free bacon and blue cheese made with pasteurized milk. Cream cheese could also be substituted, or the cheese could be omitted completely depending on preference.
3. 2 Ingredient Coconut Cookie Dough Balls - 2 ingredients, 5 minutes to prepare. Sounds like a great postpartum snack as well!
4. Homemade Larabars - Endless variations, but they all begin with a date base. Could also purchase pre-made for an easy on-the-go snack.
5. 4 Ingredient Green Smoothie - I know people love their green smoothies! Spoiler alert: one of the 4 ingredients is dates! Here's a Healthy 3 Ingredient Date Shake for the people who don't like green drinks. Options :)
6. Date Squares - A little more indulgent and dessert-like, but they look so tasty.